Nicklaus’ Martial Arts America Blog/News
A Fitness Open House For You.
It’s been over 40 years that I’ve been working with students in the martial arts and fitness industry.
Over that time I’ve had the good fortune to try many things and to learn from both the good things that I’ve tried and also the not so good things.
In that time I’ve discovered some important good things for success in a fitness business or any business for that matter.
Here they are:
- Know your people and what they want from your program
- Teach high energy classes. People want to come to a place that motivates them to improve
- Mix things up. Do things differently so that there’s variety in your classes
- Smile and let your people know that you are always happy to see them and appreciate their effort
Recently I met a fitness business owner who hits on all of these very important points.
Her name is Sarah Lau-Melby.
Sarah owns the GET Fit Studio by Sarah at 315 Ryan Street in Holmen.
Sarah has been in that location since May after moving her operation from Trempealeau.
I wanted to invite you to her Open House on Saturday November 10.
Here’s the schedule of events:
If you are looking for some high energy exercise and loads of fun then carve a few hours out of your schedule to join us on the 10th.
I’ll be there to do some Self- Defense from 10-10:45.
If you’d like to reach out to Sarah directly, please visit the Get Fit Studio By Sarah Facebook Page.
PARENTS… Ever wish that you had a list of Powerful Tips to Share with your Child as the School Year Successful? If so, Read On. The following are some tips for you to discuss with your child that will help him/her achieve great grades in school and also help your child be a Happy, Healthy, and Confident Person. We share these tips with our students and these small reminders have caused dramatic effects
- Remember that your first few classes are your most important classes. First impressions matter. Concentrate and be alert so that you can do your best. Start your school year off with a bang. Focus your eyes, Focus your ears, Focus your body, Focus your mind. Be ready to grow and learn.
- Your room is your castle and your office. Be sure to make it orderly and functional. Keep it clean. Remember, this is not mom or dad’s job. The good habits that you develop now will serve you well throughout your life.
- Be on time for school and your classes. Late is never good while being early is always looked upon with favor. Little things matter.
- Rule your own life. If you let the television, video games, or your friends rule your life then you can not become the winner that you are capable of becoming. It’s difficult sometime but it’s important to MAKE THE PLAN AND WORK THE PLAN. There will always be distractions. Stay the course.
- Walk away from situations or people that will destroy your mental or physical growth. Don’t listen to people who say cruel and harmful things to you. Don’t believe those things and don’t accept the cruel things as true. Remember, you are the gatekeeper. Keep the junk out.
- Have a POSITIVE relationship with your parents and your teachers and always show respect. Show respect at all times and you will do better in every area of your life.
- BE SELECTIVE IN CHOOSING YOUR FRIEINDS. You do not have to be friends with the whole school. Pick out a few people who are headed in the same direction in life that you are. If you hang out with the respectful, hard- working, and safe people then you will also be respectful, hard-working, and safe. PICK YOUR FRIENDS WITH CARE. YOU ARE WORTH IT
- Choose to be a winner. Never accept anything but the best from yourself. If you are having trouble achieving your best don’t be afraid to ask for help. Everyone needs help at some time. Don’t be afraid to ask.
Please share these tips with your child and revisit them each week. If your child can read it’s also a good idea to put them in a place where he/she can see and read them on a regular basis.
If you think that these tips are helpful and you would like to know more about our Focus and Self-Esteem Building classes for children ages 4-12 then please click this link. By clicking the link we will give you information about classes, availability, and times. We will also invite you to try our FREE MONTH SPECIAL BEGINNER’S PROGRAM.
NO ATHLETIC ABILITY NEEDED. Especially great exercise for kids not involved in sports.
Please Share and Comment on this post. Thank You!
Parents… The New School Year Can Be Scary For Your 4-6 Year Old. Would You Be Interested In Helping Your Child Make This School Year The Best Ever By Giving Him/Her Improved Listening Skills?
School might actually be more than scary for your 4-6 year old. It might be TERRIFYING?
Every year 4-6 year old boys and girls begin an new school year. Some will be coming in contact with school for the very first time while others have already experienced their first school year.
As a parent you want your child to look forward to the school year and not be afraid of it
Kids should be excited to go to school and experience the many things that can inspire and grow their imaginations and their capacity to learn things that are beneficial and challenging
In order for your child to get the absolute most out of his/her early school experience there are a few things that your child will need and the sooner the better
The skills that I’m going to talk about are not something that your child will just grow into. These skills are something that your child must practice on a regular basis.
It’s not easy to practice these skills when many of their friends and fellow classmates are likely not on the same page
An Essential Skill To Learning Effectively
One of the skills that I’m talking about is FOCUS
Focus is a skill essential to learning when
• The rest of their classmates are running around the room and paying attention to everything that is not what they should be paying attention to
• Your child needs to look and listen to the teacher but many of the other kids are being distracted by something outside the classroom window or by their next door neighbor
• It’s time to hear the directions that are being given so that your child can complete the project to his/her own satisfaction and to the directions of the teacher
Do you feel that I’m getting ahead of myself?
I understand how you could feel that way
We’re talking about 4-6 year olds. There is so much time for these youngsters to work on the skills that they need to be happy and successful in school and in life
But… I would ask you to consider this
The Growth Of Focus and Self-Confidence- Why It’s So Important At An Early Age
Young people who are able to center their attention on a speaker or a set of directions not only get the project right but as they continue to work on FOCUS they also develop another very important skill, SELF-CONFIDENCE
Isn’t this what your child is asked to do in the school classroom every day? Wouldn’t you agree that a child who is not practiced in these skills will suffer and not learn as well? This lack of Focus and Self-Confidence in his/her school situation can quickly influence other areas of life in a negative way as well
Kids are kids and they are only young once. I understand. They should be able to have fun and
just be kids
That’s very true, but as they are having fun and being kids why not sprinkle in a regular dose of Focus developing skills that are fun and that help them believe in themselves no matter what the challenge might be
And we all know, there will be many challenges in their young lives with school and school performance being one of the very big ones
So shouldn’t arming your child with Focus and Self-Confidence be a top priority?
Where can a parent go to find a place that can help a child develop Focus and Self-Confidence?
Have You Considered Sports As A Way To Develop important Life Skills?
Sports are a great outlet for many kids. They provide a way for young people to move and to become fit. Every youngster should have a regular dose of fitness and movement in their daily regimen
Let’s consider the team sport idea
Even though team sports can be very beneficial for some kids all kids are not comfortable in a team sport setting. What might be fine for one youngster might not fit at all for another one
Team sports can prove to be too much and too chaotic for a 4-6 year old. Kids can feel overwhelmed and not at all a part of something special.
So if team sports might not be the thing for your daughter/son, then would it be worth your while to take a look at individual sports?
Reasons For Individual Sports
Individual sports take away the pressure of being on a team and having to perform for the team.
Certainly individuals in these sports will eventually become part of a team as they continue to participate, the emphasis at this point is on the growth of the individual
Individual sports such as gymnastics, swimming, dance, and martial arts are all sports that allow a youngster a chance to explore his/her own potential without the pressure of keeping up with other team members
Wouldn’t it be great if we gave young kids a chance to take their time and not feel rushed about taking part in any particular sport?
Wouldn’t it be great if kids could learn at their own pace without worrying about keeping up with anyone else or being afraid of making mistakes?
Why Martial Arts Training Can Provide Great Answers
I’m going to speak specifically about martial arts
For the past 40 years I’ve had the privilege to work with 4-6 year olds and develop a system for them that is both fun and challenging
Most importantly this system gives myself and my instructors a chance to help all of our students develop the skill of FOCUS which in time leads to a youngster who is willing to ACCEPT CHALLENGES because of a growing SELF-CONFIDENCE that has regularly developed over time
This system works for 4-6 year olds kids who are shy at the beginning and it also works for those who are more outgoing
Opt In Here
Feeling Good and Making Progress
The most important thing is that we see kids GO AT THEIR OWN PACE, NOT WORRY ABOUT KEEPING UP WITH ANYONE ELSE IN CLASS, AND FEEL GOOD ABOUT THEMSELVES AND THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENT
So how does all of this talk about sports and specifically martial arts tie into school
Success and happiness in school, sports, and life in general comes down to how a person feels about him/herself
Much of how one feels about oneself comes down to what they have achieved, how they have met challenges, and what type of belief in themselves that the person has developed over time.
Our martial arts program helps kids develop the skills of Focus and Self-Confidence and has been proven instrumental in developing youngsters who believe that they are capable of meeting any challenge. Our program also helps youngsters realize that mistakes are a part of learning and not something that should make them feel inept and sad.
As a parent you can better prepare your 4-6 year old child for the challenges of the upcoming school year
You can arm your child with the skills necessary to survive and flourish
We’d like to help
To find out more about our Focus and Self Confidence building program for 4-o6 year olds be sure to fill out the form on this page
Click a Martial Arts Program Below for more details.
Little boys and girls develop the skills of paying attention and following directions as well as becoming physically fit. But best of all, IT’S FUN!
Healthier and happier. Our martial arts kids achieve higher skills and believe in their abilities. Every child should have this “I Can” Confidence
Teens meet new friends, challenge themselves, and become healthier and stronger. What a great outlet.
You’re Busy. It’s important to make time for yourself. Martial arts training improves your fitness, energy, and gets you ready for any challenge.